This month’s blog is all about this healthy paste called Tahina. Now for some of you who have heard about it, you will agree with us that it is amazing isn’t it? However, for those of you who haven’t, you’re in for a treat as you will get an idea and explanation about what it is, its uses and benefits.
Tip: For those of you who plan to try it the first time, it might not be as appetizing and appealing if you have it straight up on its own as it has a quite bitter taste compared to other nutty pastes.
Suggestion: The best way to have Tahina is to mix it with other components in order to add more taste and zest.
So anyway, let’s first start off with what is Tahina? Well, Tahina a.k.a Tahini is a light-colored oily paste which is made from white ground sesame seeds and is used a lot in the Middle Eastern cuisine, adding flavor and texture. It is often used as a salad dressing, dip, or as an ingredient in hummus (in case you did not know what hummus was – it is a dish made up of mashed chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic).
What about its benefits? Now a lot of people may think because of its high fat content, it is unhealthy, but there are plenty of reasons why you should be adding tahina to your diet.
Here are a few:
- It is a rich source of vitamin B and E which helps in energy boost and brain function, as well as protects the heart against diseases and strokes
- It a great detoxifying agent for your liver. It is high in healthy fats such as omega-3, which work hard to keep your liver clean and functioning in great shape.
- Your muscles will definitely enjoy this – Tahina is 20% pure protein, so it’s a great post-workout snack when you need to maintain muscle strength.
- This one is for all the ladies out there – because it is rich in Vitamin B, eating Tahina is not only good for your skin but it makes your skin glow and moreover, it provides a shine to the hair.
- And lastly, because of its high alkaline mineral content it is easy for your body to digest which is great for assisting in weight loss – which is always a plus point isn’t it?
Did we manage to get you interested to try it now? Well, here are some easy ways for you to start using Tahina right away:
- Spread it on a slice of toasted bread, bagel or crackers
- Salad dressings
- As a dip – tahina dip, avocado tahini dip etc
- Make a simple tahini yogurt sauce and you can have it alongside a grilled meat
- As an ingredient in hummus of baba ganoush (roasted eggplant)
- Drizzle it on a falafel
Also, there are many other exciting recipes and tips that you can find online. Trust me there are millions of ways that Tahina can be added to your dishes.
Now that you know about its benefits and how to use it, there’s just one simple tip on how to store it: Once Tahina is opened, make sure that it is kept in the refrigerator, the oil may separate and rise to the top; just stir it in before using it again.
Well, we hope that we somehow gave you an understanding of what Tahina is about and managed to persuade you to try?
Well in that case, you can purchase your Tahina paste with us right away by getting in touch with us here – Just click contact us and get cooking right away.
Also, don’t forget to stay tuned to our next blog, mid this month where we will share with you a simple Tahina dip recipe that you can easily make at your home.
Till then, have fun reading!