In today’s world, everyone has become quite conscious and sensitive when it comes to the food and beverage they consume. You will notice now that a lot of people are asking questions like: Is this vegan? or does this contain any gluten? Which sometimes can be quite confusing as there are so many different types of diets out there. Whereas before, there were only two common diets – either you’re a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian.
So in this month’s blog, we would like to touch on a few popular diets that are known throughout the world. This can give us all a better understanding of who can or can’t eat what.
- Vegetarian Diet: There are various types of vegetarian diets; some can’t have eggs and some can, some can’t have dairy and some can. However, the majority of people who are vegetarian obsere the following diet: they do not eat animal-based foods, except for eggs, dairy, and honey.
- Vegan Diet: Veganism is more of a way of life and a philosophy than a diet. A vegan does not eat anything that is animal based, including eggs, dairy, and honey. Lately, if you notice a lot of people are turning vegan as it is usually known to be the “healthy” option to a nutritious diet.
- Gluten Free Diet: A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. So basically all products that contain these ingredient such as wheat, barley and rye are not consumed. Switching to this diet can be quite difficult and takes quite some time. However, nowadays there are so many product substitutes out there in the grocery stores. So it is a lot easier now to main this diet.
- Raw Food Diet: Another interesting diet that has come up immensely is the Raw Food Diet. To put it into simple worlds it is a diet that involves consuming foods and beverages which are organic and not processed. Usually the experts say that at least three-quarters of your food intake should consist of uncooked food so basically 3/4 of your plate should be covered in raw fruits and vegetables.
- Dukan Diet: Not sure if you have ever read the book about this type of diet but it is probably something a lot of us are trying to do, which is avoid carbohydrates. This type of diet focuses on more protein intake and limited carbohydrate consumption.
- Dairy-Free: As the name says, people who follow this type of diet don’t consume any dairy. Some people go on a dairy-free diet because looking at it on the health perspective, countless people who’ve stopped dairy found that their lifestyle has improves and become a lot healthier. Today we can find a lot of alternatives for dairy such as almond milk and other nut milk’s or soy, which makes it easier to be consistent with this diet.
- The Zone Diet: Many of you may know this type of diet or may not but the Zone Diet mainly focuses on balancing your diet in order to achieve weight loss and control body weight. The Zone Diet aims for a nutritional balance of 40% carbohydrates, 30% fats, and 30% protein each time we eat. People following this diet normally consumes good quality carbohydrates – unrefined carbohydrates, and fats, such as olive oil, avocado, and nuts.
- Pescetarian Diet: To sum this up into simple words people who follow this diet do not have any other type of meat except for fish and they follow the vegetarian diet.
So there you have, some of the most popular diets people are choosing to have. For those of you who know more, do comment and share as we would love to get feedback from you as well.